Congratulations! You are now employed as Second Engineer on a Grimsby trawler.
Listen to the audio clip below to hear a fellow Second Engineer talking about your new job.
Average wage: £6.12s.1d per week. Around £157 in today’s money.
Average hours: 8 hours a day on rotation with Chief Engineer. Up to 36 hours without sleep during engine trouble.
- Act on orders from the Chief Engineer.
- Complete routine maintenance of the ship’s engines and all other machinery and plumbing.
- Clean the engine room and freshen paintwork when required.
- Give orders to the Trimmer for maintaining the boiler and keeping a good head of steam.
- Respond to telegraph orders from the bridge to change speed, stop, or reverse the engines.
- Start water pumps to pump water from fish room and bilges, or to operate hoses on deck.
- Support the Chief Engineer with emergency repairs if there is an accident or damage to the ship.