Congratulations! You are now employed as Ship’s Cook on a Grimsby trawler.
Listen to the audio clip below to hear a fellow Ship’s Cook talking about your new job.
Average wage: £6.2s.0d per week. Around £145 in today’s money.
Average hours: 15 hours a day with shifts covering breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- To provide one of the greatest comforts to the crew at sea, their food!
- Provide around 60 meals per day to feed a 20 man crew, regardless of weather conditions.
- Order enough food for the trip and properly store it.
- Make sure there is a constant supply of tea to keep everyone going.
- Bake fresh bread every day.
- Instruct the Galley Boy.
- Keep the galley and kitchen equipment clean and tidy.