Ross Tiger GY398
Oil on canvas
Ross Tiger was built during the 1950s, when Grimsby was known as the world’s premier fishing port.
Ross Tiger was designed and built by Cochrane and Sons of Selby. She was the first of a fleet of 12 state of the art fishing vessels known as the Cat Class trawlers. Her maiden voyage was in early 1957. The powerful modern diesel engine and her strength and stability impressed all who sailed in her. Inside, the crew enjoyed luxuries including central heating, flushing toilets, baths and a shower.
Today, Ross Tiger is part of the museum’s permanent collection. She is a tribute to the technical advances developed by Grimsby’s fishing industry and the brave men who risk their lives at sea.
Monologue 1 written Joe Fuller and performed by Sam Moody.
Monologue 2 written by June Vernau and performed by David Bromley.