Thomas Tompion GY126
Watercolor on paper
Steam Trawler built in 1950 for Messrs H Croft Baker and Son Ltd of Grimsby. She had a crew of 26 men and operated from Grimsby for seven years. The name Thomas Tompion came from name of the famous watchmaker. The trawler owner’s hobby was collecting antique clocks.
First skipper was J. Arthur Whittleton. The boat was equipped with radar and modern navigating aids. There was a library on board and films shown in the mess deck. Her maiden voyage was on 9th May 1950, heading for Icelandic fishing grounds. She returned 11 days later.
The ship was adopted by the Headington Secondary School in Oxford and was the 21st ship to be adopted by the school and she appeared on a children’s hour programme.
She had two crew changes in the four years she was active in Grimsby and was a very happy boat to work on.
A few months later, the Thomas Tompion was damaged and had to radio for help. The Norwegian Tug Draugen went to help and rescued the 20 crewmen to safety in Bergen, Norway.
In February 1957, she was transferred to Hull and renamed Stella Procyon. In September 1967, she was renamed Ross Procyon.
On 23rd October 1968, she was sold for scrap in Antwerp.
Miss Waud – the only female clerk on the Docks at the time – remembered the Thomas Tompion fondly. She remarked: “She was absolutely beautiful. She had the clockmakers crest on the Bridge”
Monologue 1 written and performed by Kimberley Wood.
Monologue 2 written by Kimberley Wood and performed by INSERT NAME.